Wednesday, 29 January 2014

Xtras Hair Extensions: part 2

As promised, here is the second part of my Xtras hair extensions review. If you haven't yet read part 1 do have a look if you're interested in finding out more about the product itself. For this post however I will be sharing with you some of my favourite, easy styles using these hair extensions.



Messy fishtail braid - these braids can look a lot more complicated than a standard, three strand plait but they're really pretty easy when you've got the knack and realised you do have enough fingers to execute it.

- For this I clipped in one long weft mid way up the back section of my hair and then a couple of smaller pieces just on the side the plait would fall as I didn't want too much extra hair to wrap round and try and keep in place.
- I pinned back the shortest layer of my hair on both sides then braided the rest doing this in the position I wanted the fishtail to end up. Once tied at the end I pulled the braid out slightly to loosen it and make it messier.
- Then just using hair straighteners I waved the loose hair of the shorter layers to add to the overall messy, relaxed look.



Effortless top knot - like the fishtail braid this was a popular style last year but not all of us are blessed with long, thick hair to be able to get a nice big bun on our heads.

- I started by putting my own hair up into a bun on top of my head, leaving out a section about an inch wide all around the hairline.
- Then I clipped in the extensions all the way around but backwards so they were pointing in towards the bun, I could then gather these up into a pony tail around the little bun made from my own hair. Once that was tied in place I back combed all the hair in the pony tail slightly so then when I scooped it into the top knot it was nice and big. I secured this in place with hair grips and wavys.
- Lastly that ring of hair I left out previously was brushed over the extensions and secured into place around the bun with grips. This way all the hair around the bun being seen is your natural hair and it hides all signs on the weft clips.



Asymmetric victory rolls - a much more stylised but fun look, and slightly more tricky than the others but easy to get the hang of with a little practice.

- I clipped in the full head of extensions as normal as far as the top of my ears. Everything above this I pinned out of the way and then curled the extensions (and my own hair) with a heated wand. I then put this to one side over my shoulder.
- I sectioned the hair for each victory roll and doing one at a time I clipped in an extension behind my own hair and back combed it all together. For this part the extensions are really just being used as a filler to pad it out if you have fine hair like me. (If you have thick hair and are only using extensions to gain length you may be able to skip this step.)
- I then wound the hair backwards together into a roll and pinned in place with grips before doing the same with the other side. If you're wearing this style out you'll likely want a lot of anchorage in there and a lot of hairspray to keep its shape and avoid fly aways.



Simple off the face - lastly a really simple one which hardly needs any explaining but I thought was a good everyday look.

- All I did for this was put in a full head of extensions and wave it all with hair straighteners.
- I then sectioned each side off where I wanted the hair to be pinned and back combed it everso slightly, securing it in place with grips.


For all of these looks I found the extensions really easy to work with, they react well to heat styling, product and back combing so you really can get them to do anything. If you're inventive you don't need to use them in the traditional way to achieve a particular hair style, providing they're secure and the clips are well concealed you can clip them in anywhere and in whatever direction is needed for the style.

I hope you like the looks I put together and I'm sorry it took me so long to get this post up, I had to wait til I had a whole afternoon free to play around. I'd love to know which style is your favourite!!


(The extensions I am using are the  20" Deluxe Double Wefted extensions in Chestnut brown*)

1 comment:

  1. use the pro naturals argan oil in your extensions, I'm sure it will take care if them =)

    ReplyDelete