Monday, 30 June 2014

IMATS 2014 Pro Kit Haul

This is a fun post for me to write up today because I get to geek out a little and write about my passion, my career - makeup. This is my second year at IMATS, last year I attended on both Saturday and Sunday but modelled the whole time for PAM which meant although I got the chance to have a wander and grab some products, I didn't get to sit in on any of the demos. This year I was filming on Saturday so decided despite desperately needed a lie-in to recover, I'd go along as a guest on the Sunday and make the most of it.

Now I know most of you are here to see what I bought so I'll talk a bit more about the actual event at the end of the post. Here we go...

It may not look like a lot but it still cost a pretty penny. Despite spending over £200, I was very well behaved and only stuck to things I NEEDED in my kit and unfortunately these might not be the most interesting for the majority of you.

For those of you who aren't familiar with alcohol activated paints, these are used with Isopropol alcohol and generally used as a nice, translucent wash. As they are alcohol activated this means that they are water proof, they're the perfect things for colouring prosthetic appliances, or doing effective sfx details such as bruising or veins.

Illustrator palettes are probably the most commonly known brand and retail for an average of about £85 in the UK. I have been lusting after this American Horror Story palette for a while now but not been able to track it down so it was the one thing I knew I wanted more than anything else at IMATS. Fortunately I spotted it at the PAM first as that's where it had the biggest discount and I nabbed it for just £67!!

The other palette is by a brand called Mr Dashbo which I'd not previously heard of. They were selling their alcohol activated palettes for just £30 so I had a little play and was happy enough with the results to grab one.

These are the shades inside the two palettes. The AHS is a gorgeous mixture of death tones and the dark skin tone colours in the Dashbo palette are ones I was lacking in this form and will be very hand for blending prosthetics in with real skin tones and especially natural bald caps.

The Dashbo palette is one I will need to have a good play with, my first impressions were that it wouldn't be quite as long-wearing as Illustrator but for £30 you can't really go wrong.


This next palette is by MaqPro, which is probably my favourite brand for foundations and concealers, you may have heard me mention them on Twitter chats. MaqPro is a French brand that has recently become a lot more prolific over here and I find more and more makeup artists are filling their kit with MaqPro products in the film and television industry. Their makeup is wax based and therefore heats up with the skin meaning it buffs in flawlessly and the coverage can be manipulated to be as light or heavy as you need.

This palette however is a selection of shades for dirtying down which I find I do a lot of on film and TV jobs. I was using other products for this but this palette limits the amount kit I need and works really well. This was also on sale at PAM for £22 down from £27.50.


If you've ever seen pictures of my brushes online you probably think I don't need any more but unfortunately I find I can never have enough. Brushes are also one of the pieces of kit I have a slight obsession with. When in the makeup room you have time to sanitise your brushes in between artists but on set you don't always have that luxury if there are a lot of people needing touch ups at once. Smaller brushes are easy to clean with some IPA as it will evaporate off quickly but larger brushes retain the moisture for longer so I like to have a good selection of face brushes on hand.

These I purchased from Love Makeup and are both by Zoeva, a brand I've heard a lot about through bloggers but not yet tried myself. I went for brushes 102 and 110 which cost just £8.00 down from £9.95 and £6.50 down from £7.95 respectively and are ridiculously soft. Domed brushes are my favourite for applying bases and I always like to have a range of sizes to make sure every nook and cranny is perfect.


Whilst on the topic of brushes, I also nabbed three from BDellium's new sfx range which I had seen some demos of online and really wanted to try. The biggest one is called the 'Muscle brush' and is nicely textured to create a (you guessed it) muscle effect. When creating sfx pieces, texture is really important so I look forward to giving this a go. I also picked up their 'Splatter brush' which is pretty self explanatory and the 'Watercolour brush' which caught my eye because of the length of the hairs which can be hard to find on fluffy brushes. I think this will be perfect for applying alcohol activated paints. The Muscle brush was £8 and the latter both £5.


With so much kit to lug around I am always looking for ways to condense and these Vueset palettes are perfect for that. I already have one of the smaller cell palettes for lipstick but needed another and the larger cell palette will be a good spare for other cream products such as concealers or blushers. Whilst it does mean going through the boring procedure of depotting everything, it's worth it to save my poor shoulders. These were both £7.50 from Love Makeup and are usually £9.50.


Last but not least, is my new set bag. I apologise for the awful photo, who knew it was so hard to photograph a clear, plastic bag!! This is something I've been needing for the longest time but putting off spending the money. My previous set bags have either been too big or too small and never with separate compartments which is pretty essential for finding things quickly. This is by Stilazzi and was £36 instead of £45 from PAM once again. I'm so pleased with this and like a loser, very excited about the tissue compartment on the side. Don't judge me.


As if that wasn't enough for you to take in, I'm now going to chat a little bit about the day in general. If you've made it this far well done, and if you make it to the end, be sure to let me know as I'll be super impressed, but I don't blame you if you've nodded off.

I really enjoyed IMATS this year, going as a guest was a lot more fun because I could take my time looking at each exhibitor's stand. I got to catch up with colleagues past and present and of course it is a fantastic place for networking. However the highlight of my day was getting to watch the Demo by Tate Steinsiek who I have been a massive fan of for a number of years. He's so passionate about his work that it really inspires me with my own and motivates me to push myself, not only that, his demo was fantastic and I picked up a couple of great tips which I can't wait to try out.

The only frustrations I have with IMATS is that for me it's business, it's hard not to get annoyed when you want to talk to someone about their products because you need it for your kit but can't get near them because of shoppers and bargain hunters. That's not to say I begrudge those not in the industry, it's a fantastic opportunity to see some brands you might not have heard of and grab some deals and everyone should get the chance to visit the show for whatever their personal reason. However it does make everything a lot harder, for getting around, for talking to people and my biggest pet peeve, the people sitting in on demos but not actually paying attention and talking loudly through them. I don't know that there's any solution for this other than me attending the Friday pro-night in future, however that doesn't work if the demos you want to see are on other days. I probably sound like a grumpy old woman but I really did have a lovely day and it's always such a wonderful atmosphere, we're all united by a love of makeup and it's exciting!

If you attended IMATS this year or in the past I'd love to hear your thoughts on it too, and if you've actually read this whole post, I'm pretty gobsmacked and please do leave me a comment to let me know.

ps - you can view last year's haul here!

1 comment:

  1. Great post,love!
    xoxo Antonella

    beautylove7694.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete