Thursday, 23 October 2014

Halloween makeup: Cheshire Cat

Three Halloween makeup posts in a row this week, I know, I'm spoiling you. (Or rather just geeking out!) Today's look is one of my favourites so far, it is still nice and simple to achieve whilst being very effective. 

Cheshire Cat Halloween makeup tutorial, face painted, sfx, big fangs, prosthetics
As revealed by the title I decided to recreate everyone's favourite Alice in Wonderland character, the Cheshire Cat. I mentioned in my DIY fangs post that I knew I wanted to do something with big teeth and worked backwards and I'm super happy I chose to go with this. It was pretty effective I think.

Cheshire Cat Halloween makeup tutorial, face painted, sfx, big fangs, prosthetics
This is your first taste of somewhat illusion makeup from me, with the fake eyes painted over my own. It's a popular style amongst face and body painters which I've been wanting to dabble in for a while. I'm also a big fan of combining painted and 3d elements making this a really fun one to do.

- I first prepped the teeth and ears, I won't go into too much detail, I posted a tutorial for the teeth here yesterday and the ears are simply fabric backed with card which I glued to a head band and added some paper wispy bits for detail.

- Moving on to the actual makeup I began by marking out where I wanted the main features to go on my face, the big mouth, eyes and nose.  I did this using a little water-based body paint on a thin brush but you could also do this with an eyeliner. I tend to go for a white or light shade which is easily covered later unless it's a wound in which I'll do it with reds.

- Using a gluestick I stuck down my eyebrows to give a smoother surface to paint on. I ran it across my brows then using a spatula, scraped lumps of glue off and pasted these on to fill in any remaining ridges.

- I painted in each colour in turn and let them dry in between to avoid mixing. With all my details drawn out this was kind of like a paint by numbers. I started with all the purples, moving on to the eyes which were white with some yellow over the top to create a more feline effect and finishing by blacking out the entire mouth area. This was to create the illusion that nothing is behind those big fangs.

- I also added some stripes and dots which I think not only helps embody the Cheshire Cat but aesthetically works pretty well.

- Now it was time to add the teeth. I stuck these using a two-part skin silicone, as the teeth are curved this worked better than glue so they could really get stuck in. I did the largest teeth first, working on the top then the bottom. I pasted on the silicone along the mouth line then simply pressed the teeth into it. Once all of those were done I moved onto each side, doing exactly the same but I had cut the teeth down smaller.

- For the very corners of the mouth I painted in a few more teeth using yellow over white again to slightly match the colour of the other fangs.

- I left the pupils til last and these are pretty self explanatory. Make sure you keep shutting your eye when doing these to ensure they line up correctly when closed. If wearing this makeup out I think I would be inclined to then set this part of the makeup with powder, even a black eyeshadow would do, or use a longer lasting product so they don't smudge.

- Finish your look with any accessories and a costume and you're good to go! You could also draw in some whiskers if you liked but I didn't want to ruin mine with one more element so decided to go without.

WHAT I USED:
- Kryolan Aquacolour paints
- Pritt Stick glue
- Mouldlife Sculpt Gel
- Homemade fangs

I really hope you enjoyed this look, I'm pretty chuffed with it and it has been popular amongst my FB friends and on Instagram which is always lovely to see. I also recorded this look so head over to YouTube and give that a little watch.


If you want to easily skip to my previous Halloween tutorials this year just click here.

8 comments:

  1. Oh my word! That is SO good! So creepy!

    Hayley-Eszti

    www.hayleyeszti.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an incredible look! I wish I had the patience to create something like this
    Francine from The Graduate Goddess xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omgosh, this is amazing but terrifying! Wahhhh!

    Tara x

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG this is terrifying but SO good! Those teeth :O xx

    Gemma // Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is amazing! I wish I could do make up like that! xx

    www.eleanorbroome.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow this is amazing and terrifying in equal measures!! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow - this is absolutely amazing!!! Well done :)

    Layla xx

    www.sprinklesofstyle.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is absolutely terrifying - but amazing as well, you're super talented!

    Milly // Mini Adventures

    ReplyDelete