Thursday, 2 July 2015

Canadian Sephora haul

Evening my bizarre beauties! How have my fellow Brits been fairing during our mini heatwave? I'm writing this at 2am and it's still a sauna in here, though I quite like it.

I've been working my butt off the past couple of months which is why the blog posts are still a very rare occurrence but I got back from a little getaway last week which was very much needed. I spent 12 days in Canada visiting family and friends, eating way too much and spending all the money I don't have. When I wasn't buying more (and more) black clothes, I was grabbing makeup and beauty products that aren't available over here.

I'll probably do a couple of hauls but I'm going to start with the most exciting one, Sephora. I managed to spend about an hour in the store, I'd say 45minutes of that was shopping and the other 15 was spent being stopped by strangers telling me they liked my hair and consequently my accent when I said thankyou. I guess colourful hair isn't the norm over there. I spent a lot of money yet still feel like I was pretty reserved, I definitely expected to come out with more makeup and less perfume anyway. So here's what I bought.


I was pretty strict and stuck to brands that were hard to get hold of over here, or at least way more expensive. Most of these were things I knew I wanted before arriving so was very happy to find them in stock. I swatched a couple of other items I was after and didn't actually like them which allowed me to grab some extra things and of course they chucked in a ton of samples.


The Elizabeth & James perfumes were probably the biggest surprise expense I did not expect to be spending, coming in at £40 each. Not a lot for perfume in the great scheme of things but an £80 sneak attack nonetheless. I never thought I'd be buying fragrances designed by the Olsen twins I can tell you that, I'd seen Claire mention them in a video and recommending combining the two opposing scents to create a superior mega-scent, and given that I've currently been mixing 5 Inglot cream perfumes in this way I was instantly intrigued and knew I wanted to check them out. I just didn't expect to like them enough to buy. It seems rather redundant telling you how good they are, I bought them, duh. The black bottle has a much richer, muskier, masculine smell whilst the white is lighter and more feminine. Together they're just gorgeous, I like the masculine notes coming through without smelling full on Abercrombie & Fitch.

The rollerball is a perfume by Repetto, it's completely different to my usual taste in fragrance, being overly feminine and light, but there's something very fresh and wonderful about it so I grabbed this small size. The salted caramel lip balm is by Tokyomilk and I picked this up in the queue. I'd tested all of their fragrances as their bottles are actually amazing and I was determined to find one I liked, alas they were all a bit too potent for me. This seemed like a good compromise to have something by the brand but not spend out unnecessarily.


Some of my favourite purchases are in this next batch. These are all the eye products I grabbed. I had intended to pick up the Anastasia Beverly Hills brow whizz but after trying it I realised it wasn't going to work for me and I chose the brow pomade instead which I adore. I find it very hard to get the correct brow shade because browns look very unnatural, but this is the perfect taupe. The one product I wanted to get above everything else was the Kat Von D tattoo liner, which I am now obsessed with and wish I'd bought a few. I got one in brown too, not sure why, but I'm sure it will come in handy. I grabbed one of the Stila felt liners too as it's also a very strong black but with a thinner tip than the tattoo liner.

The Shade & Light eye palette was not something I planned to get but I'm always looking for decent all matte palettes for my personal kit and this has such a nice selection of shades. I've been using it a fair bit and it has to be one of the strongest colour payoffs I've ever got from eyeshadows. Bordering on TOO pigmented, I have to be careful to just lightly dust my brush over the pans and not pick up too much. I'm not complaining though, it makes application effortless and means it will last a long time. Lastly because I'd already gone a bit Kat Von D crazy (there's more to come) I figured I'd give her mascara a go as well. I never really have a signature mascara for myself and tend to try something new every time mine runs out, I really like the brush on this, it can be a bit sharp and spiky but it applies the product very nicely avoiding clumping.


The colours aren't great in this last photo to be honest, but I'm sure I'll end up talking about these again in the future with swatches so you can see them in more detail. The Buxom lip foundation is a creamy balm to be worn under gloss or on it's own, it's a dusky rose, nude shade. I had my eye on quite a few of the lip foundations which come in a variety of nudes (I blame Kylie Jenner) but decided this one was probably most flattering on me. I'm not a great one for lip products, I have quite thin lips and find most colours look a little ridiculous, which makes the Kat Von D lacquer I picked up a completely bizarre purchase but I just LOVE the formula of these. The one I got is a pink coral, now I just have to work up the courage to wear it. The last item, and this is another one by Kat Von D, is this pink blusher. Again the colour isn't too representative of the actual shade which is far less pastel. It's quite a standard pink tone, it's great for summer and nice to have something a little stronger than my usual very natural ones. Again this is super strong so you only need to touch down lightly with the brush.

So that's everything, like I said at the beginning of the post I did a fair bit of shopping elsewhere so keep your eyes peeled for a second beauty haul soon. I'll leave you with all the links to the products, I'd love to hear what you think of the products I chose.


3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had an amazing time in Canada and I love the bits you picked up from Sephora - I love the look of the Shade and Light palette!

    The Velvet Black // UK Style & Beauty Blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow what a great haul! Someday I want to go somewhere and frolic through a Sephora! That Kat Von D Palette looks amazing!! (Sorry if this posts twice, think there was a hiccup in the matrix!)

    www.bethanyowenmakeup.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful makeup items!

    check out my blog + follow too?
    wildvagabondss.blogspot.com

    xo,
    Jess ♡

    ReplyDelete